FAVORITE FILMS NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Since listing my all time top 5 films is an impossible task for me since I’m very much into films and have lots of favorites, I’m going to alter the prompt a mite bit and name my top five foreign films instead.
1. First and Foremost, if you have never watched a foreign film (and by that, I mean one not in English) I recommend you start with this one. My number one choice. It’s exciting and the story is complex and well done. The movie? BLACK BOOK. It is sooo good. I can’t say enough good things about it. It’s about a Jewish girl who works for the Dutch resistance in WWII. She becomes involved with a Nazi officer. It’s such a powerful story.
2. BREAD AND TULIPS is another good foreign language film. It’s light fare compared to #1 above. It’s a romance and a lot of it takes place in Venice, Italy, a place I love.
3. WALK ON WATER is a story about a member of Mossad (a very handsome Lior Ashkenazi) who is assigned to a misson whereby he must get close to the grandchildren of a Nazi war crminal. This is a lovely story and is pretty light fare as well. It’s a drama, but it’s not as dark as BLACK BOOK.
4. ARMY OF SHADOWS is another dark one about WWII. It is another resistance group movie. It seems like a lot of the foreign films use that era as their setting and story base. I guess it’s because so much happened during that turbulent time in history. This one has Jean-Pierre Cassel, the very handsome father of Vincent Cassel, in it. This is a tragic film, so be ready to have your heart hurt with this one.
5. Another foreign film with a lot of drama is THE THIRD MAN. This one is set in Vienna, Austria and is a cold war film. It has Joesph Cotten and Orson Welles in it. This one is also dark, but that’s the beauty in this one. The director captured the dark tone quite well with the shots of the city at night. The city of Vienna is almost another character in the movie.
So, check some of these out sometime. It’s fun when the film itself is so excitng that you forget you’re reading the words. One word of caution, though, don’t watch HIROSHIMA, MY LOVE if you want action and fast pace.
Reblogged this on PORTAFOLIO. BITACORA DE UN TRANSFUGA. 2000.2010.